Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Test 01 of Unknown: Caramel Pudding


















Feeling ambitious, I wanted to see if I could in fact 'invent my own pudding.' I quote that phrase because Adam at the Armature Gourmet (here) attempted this very same feat, which is scary, because he knows what he is doing and I on the other hand....not so much. 

The only idea I had was to use my awesome caramel sauce recipe to flavor a basic pudding base, who's recipe I found from Elise. Using this concept, I came up with a nice pudding with great flavor and a smooth texture. I hope you give it a go and enjoy it!

Caramel Pudding
-adapted from 'Chocolate Pudding'

For the Caramel:
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. water
3/4 c. heavy cream

Heat the sugar and water over high heat until deep amber. Take off the heat and carefully stir in the cream. Bring back to a boil then allow to cool.

For the Pudding:
1/4 c. sugar
4 Tbs. Corn starch [you might need more depending on how think you would like it]
Pinch of Salt
2 c. whole milk
One egg, beaten

Combine the cornstarch, sugar and salt in a medium pot. Whisk in milk and bring to a boil. Stir in cooled caramel and remove from the heat. Temper a small about of the cream mixture into the egg, followed by the remainder of the cream. Whisk until smooth, divide into ramekins, and allow to cool. 

1 comment:

dad said...

give me some of that pumpkin pie uncle dennis