Thursday, November 6, 2008

Home in the Kitchen: Apple Cookie Crisp


















I'm not sure if this has been done before. If it has, I'm sorry. 

My sister loves apple crisp, and I wanted to put my own spin on the old time classic. After scouring the Internet for a oatmeal cookie recipe that A) I had all the ingredients for and B) was easy, I decided I would smother my simply apple mix with a crunchy cookie top. 

Most of the crisps I have eaten or made in the past have had a nice topping, but it is usually not consistent or super crunchy. I wanted to for go the topping, and go straight for a 'top.' I figured a nice cookie would yield that crunchy bite I was looking for. Excited about the prospect of a new discovery, I set off to find a cookie recipe that would work. Most oatmeal cookies have tons of goodies in them, (its like new thing now, I think) but for my topping I wanted only two things to make the crunch happen: Oats and granola. 

Below is the recipe for my version of apple crisp with a crunch cookie top and simple simple apples underneath. Enjoy.

Apple Cookie Crisp

For the top:
-adapted from Food Network Kitchens

1 c AP flour 
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 c. room temp. butter (1.5 sticks)
1/2 c. sugar 
3/4 c. packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. rolled oats (not instant)
1 c. granola (any type or brand you like)

Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside. 

Beat white sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Mix in brown sugar. Add eggs in one at a time, beating after each addition. Add vanilla. Once wet ingredients are well combined, slowly add the dry ingredients on to the wet. Once homogeneous, stir in oats and granola. Chill batter for at least 30 min. for best results

For the apples:

Cut 3 to 4 large peeled apples into slices. Squeeze the juice of one half of a lemon over the apples, followed by 1/2 c of sugar, 2 tbs. of brown sugar and 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon. Make sure all of the slices are well coated and place them in the bottom of a baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. After 20 minutes, remove from oven and spread cookie dough over the apples. Return to oven and bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Let cool for 5-10 for a harder crust.

No comments: