Saturday, October 11, 2008

Remembering Summer: Sorrel Tea



















The other cranberry....but not a fruit at all. This Jamaican gem is slowly integrating its way back into U.S. homes at a fairly steady clip, and not wanting to be out of the loop I sent away for some of my very own pods. 
The dried flower of the hibiscus plant, hibiscus sabdariffa, received its name for its smell that was likened to the herb French Sorrel...which is big a green and not likely to yield a cool and refreshing tea. The Jamaicans, while having may uses for the flower, such as in jellies and wine, are not the only culture to take advantage of the plants unique taste. Ever had Red Zinger tea with that big red flower on the front of the package? That flower is a hibiscus/ sorrel. Latin Americans also have similar uses for sorrel and call their tea Jamaica, after the origins of the flower. (Hamica as they would pronounce it)
My plan of attack for making my first sorrel tea was simple- make it simple. Being in the south, I did the only southern thing to do - make sweet tea and sub the Lipton for sorrel pods. Note that this is a basic approach, but I really wanted to see what the flowers tasted like themselves before I added in all kinds of citrus and ginger and the like. If you would like to order your own hibiscus flowers, visit the Savory Spice Company

Sorrel Tea - -
8 c water
4 oz sorrel pods
2/3 c. sugar

Bring 4c of water to a boil, add sorrel, and remove from heat. Allow to steep for 15 minutes. While the flowers are steeping, mix the sugar and remaining 4c of water in a large pitcher until sugar is dissolved. Pour warm sorrel water through a mesh strainer and into the pitcher. Let cool and serve over ice. 

Note: Feel free to adjust sweetness as you would like. 

2 comments:

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

I just found your blog on the Iron cupcake blog roll. I see you're from Greenville. I am a proud ECU graduate! Well, I use hibiscus flowers a lot in cooking and in a pinch, I pick up a box of Passion tea from Starbucks. The main ingredient is hibiscus. I have to use about 8 bags to get the flavor I want, but it does the trick. And sometimes, if I want to do something subtle, the tea works well, too. Trader Joe's in Cary has candied hibiscus flowers. And they are YUMMY! If you're ever out that way, you should try them. The store AND the flowers (if you haven't been).

sean ruffolo said...

what do you think of adding pineapple? citrus?