Sunday, October 5, 2008

Persimmon and Goat Cheese Cupcakes


 











When I read the secret ingredient for my inaugural Iron Cupcake challenge was cheese, I was slightly disheartened to say the least. I had never used cheese in a dessert, especially a cupcake. Perplexed as to what to do, I let the Greenville Farmers Market solve my problems for me. I've just started using the local market, and let me just say for a small town market it has some great finds. Everything is so inexpensive in comparison to big chain supermarkets and you meet some pretty interesting people as well. 
So about my cupcakes - Randomly there just so happens to be a persimmon orchard ( I assume it is called an orchard, they grow on trees) 3 miles from from Greenville. Who would have thought? I had never used or tasted a persimmon - my brother likened them to an unripe tomato- so I was a little weary as I headed over to the vendor. As a felt over the fruits trying to figure out what in the world they could be used for, a nice oriental lady offered that persimmons go great in place of bananas in banana bread. Alright - so persimmon bread- how about persimmon cupcakes? I decided to go for it. 
After failing my first attempt, I worked out a recipe that yielded some nice looking (and tasting) cakes. 
Now i had my base, I just need to work out the finishing touches. Having just ordered a huge bag of sorrel, (dried hibiscus flowers) I knew I wanted to get them into the party. And there was still the cheese component I had to work on. I remembered reading a blogger that used goat cheese in his icing, and using that as inspiration I came up with a Sorrel Goat Cheese icing. 
I'd say for my first attempted at theme ingredient cupcake I was pleased with my efforts. The cupcakes were cooked perfectly and the icing was not overly sweet so the goat cheese could shine through. If you have the opportunity to get a hold of some persimmons give this one a whirl. Any icing would work perfectly on these if you don't have sorrel or are afraid of the goat cheese in your icing. 

Persimmon Cupcakes with Sorrel Goat Cheese Icing - -

For the cakes:
1 1/2 c. all purpose flower
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 c. whole milk, room temp. 
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 stick unsalted butter, room temp. 
1 c. sugar
1 large egg, room temp.
2 large egg whites, room temp
1/3 c. persimmon puree (3 to 4 ripe fruits)
1/8 tsp. fresh ground nutmeg 

For the icing:
8 oz. goat cheese
4 tbs. cream cheese
6 tbs. powdered sugar (or to taste)
3 tbs. sorrel syrup
- 4 to 5 sorrel florets 
  - 1 c. water 
- 2 tbs. sugar

For the cupcakes: 
Combine dry ingredients and sift. Mix together milk, vanilla, and persimmon puree and set aside. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add in egg and egg whites one at a time, beating after each addition. Once combined, add half of the flour mixture and mix until Incorporated.  Add in wet milk mixture and mix followed by the rest of the flour mixture. Beat batter until all ingredients are Incorporated. Do not over mix. Portion batter into 12 cupcake papers and bake at 350 for 22 minutes. Allow to cool before icing 

For the Icing:
Allow sorrel florets to steep in warm water for 20 minutes or until water is dark red. Pour water in a sauce pot and put over high heat. Stir in sugar and reduce until the liquid yields 1/4 of a cup. (about 15 minutes) Allow to cool to room temp. Mix the cream cheese, goat cheese, sugar, and sorrel syrup until combined. Ice cooled cupcakes. 

__________________________________________


No comments: