Thursday, January 22, 2009

2 Ps in a Brittlle
















Looking for something different to pour sugar over and having a Fresh Market gift card left over from Christmas, I bought a few pistachios and pumpkin seeds. Where these little nuts/ seeds would lead me, I wasn't sure, but I wanted to give a shot at some brittle. I had no true basis for these brittle, but do have a favorite carmel sauce recipe I turn to week after week and thought I could doctor that up a bit to make it work.

The carmel sauce is a 1:2:3 ratio of water:sugar:cream; the cream makes it a sauce instead of just caramelized sugar. But its the caramelized sugar that I wanted for my brittle, so out goes the cream. The result, once heated to deep carmel perfection and poured over the nuts, was out of this world. The combo of both pestacio and pumpkin seeds was perfect with the hard sweet carmel and dash of sea salt I thew in the mix.


The finished brittle vanished from its little zip lock bag in no time. While making carmel can be a little daunting and time consuming, the reward is well worth the risk and effort. Be carfeul with this one but have fun and enjoy a great snack.

Any Nut Brittle--

1 to 2 ratio of water to sugar
(for this, I used 1/2 c water to 1 c sugar)
seeds/nuts of choice (pre-roasted)
dash of salt

Prepare the nuts in whatever pan you would like, but make sure the pan is lined with both cooking spray and parchment paper. Dash the nuts with salt if you would like. Pour the sugar in a sauce pan and then wet with the water. DO NOT stir at any point. Heat over high heat until the sugar turns a nice amber color. (If the sugar starts to get too dark around the edges, lift the pan off the heat and swirl the pan around to combine.) Once at the desired color, pour the sugar over the nuts. Swirl, turn, and tilt the nut pan to ensure even coating of the nuts. Allow to cool and then break into pieces.

No comments: